Browse Items (515 total)

Colin_Bottle.jpg

Tags: , ,

DSC_0576.jpg

Tags: , ,

IMG_5066.jpg
Background: The website, Diagnostic Artifacts of Maryland, allows us to conclude that the artifact that we excavated is a German brown salt glaze stoneware with iron oxide slip from the 17th century (Image 1). This is most likely from the neck of a…
The light color of this musket ball is due to a natural buildup of lead carbonates, sulfides and oxides over time, which helps confirm its age and material composition.

Tags: ,

Sarsaparilla Bottle Fragment
Hello, my name is Isaac Emerson and I am currently a first year student at Harvard College. I followed in my father’s footsteps by studying at Cambridge, although, right now I’m struggling to see myself earning my diploma. See, soon upon my arrival…
This artifact is a gray nylon cloth with a blue outer embroidery. Nylon was not created until the early 20th century as a cheaper alternative to silk.

Tags: , ,

Amber Glass Sherd.JPG
A small piece of curved, thick amber glass with many scratch marks on the surface.

Tags: , ,

A picture of the ceramic button found in H930.

Tags: , ,

This hook was probably used as a window hook. Students were able to open their windows and witness historical commencement traditions and University history in the making.

Tags: ,

Scratch Blue Stoneware Sherd
Journal Entry: April 1768*

Mother and Father just paid a visit. Boring, as usual. Before they left for home Mother left me a gift: a tea set. As if I needed another one! Mother had insisted on giving me a set when I first left to come to the…
Here we can see the remnant of a small, used rose-head nail, bent out of shape from being pounded into the hard, native woods of New England.

Tags: ,

Front view of pewter button excavated from unit H931, Level 3, depth of 68-80cm. Note the plainness of the button and the absence of decorative detail.

Tags: , , ,

This green 18th century pharmaceutical glass is smooth to the touch and has two separate pieces--one being a part of the short neck and the other making up the body of the  bottle.

Tags: , ,

The Tin-Glazed Sherds
Joseph Browne, Harvard Class of 1666

These fragments are from two plates that I broke in 1664 during my sophomore year at the College. My friends and I may have had too much rum, and our rowdiness got rather out of hand. We thought it would be…

Tags: , ,

print type.jpg
Pipe Stem and Bowl Fragments

Tags: , ,

Tags: ,

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 8.47.14 PM.png
Supporting Sources:
This video from Colonial Williamsburg provides a brief description of brick production: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUtEcVxaXXQ

This is a very similar artifact that was excavated in New York. Like the HYAP brick, it…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2