19th Century (1800-1899)

During the 19th century, Harvard was “privatized” and the number and variety of classes multiplied, the lecture system supplanted recitation, and students were permitted a free choice of courses. University Hall (1815) was constructed on the outline of the original Yard. The construction of Grays Hall (1863), Matthews Hall (1871) ,and Weld Hall (1872) were established south of the original Old College and Indian College, forming the south of western part of Harvard Yard, known today as the Old Yard, as a long, extended quadrangle surrounded by buildings on all four sides.

19th Century Wine Bottle

Fragment of wine bottle
During the 19th century, some students at Harvard could barely afford to eat as is evidenced by students’ inability to find decent and affordable food after the closure of dining halls in 1825. The excavation of this wine bottle draws attention to…

Porcelain sherd

Porcelain Sherd- Top2.png
Blue and white, flat, triangular piece of Chinese porcelain. Slightly curved on the tip opposite of the design. Thickness increases towards this tip.

Sarsaparilla bottle fragment

Sarsaparilla Bottle Fragment
Hello, my name is Isaac Emerson and I am currently a first year student at Harvard College. I followed in my father’s footsteps by studying at Cambridge, although, right now I’m struggling to see myself earning my diploma. See, soon upon my arrival…

Piece of amber glass

Amber Glass Sherd.JPG
A small piece of curved, thick amber glass with many scratch marks on the surface.