2017 Assignment 3

Rhenish Stoneware: Bellarmine Bottle

Background: The website, Diagnostic Artifacts of Maryland, allows us to conclude that the artifact that we excavated is a German brown salt glaze stoneware with iron oxide slip from the 17th century (Image 1). This is most likely from the neck of a…

Sarsaparilla bottle fragment

Hello, my name is Isaac Emerson and I am currently a first year student at Harvard College. I followed in my father’s footsteps by studying at Cambridge, although, right now I’m struggling to see myself earning my diploma. See, soon upon my arrival…

Piece of amber glass

A small piece of curved, thick amber glass with many scratch marks on the surface.

Scratch Blue Stoneware

Journal Entry: April 1768*

Mother and Father just paid a visit. Boring, as usual. Before they left for home Mother left me a gift: a tea set. As if I needed another one! Mother had insisted on giving me a set when I first left to come to the…

Tin Glazed Earthenware Sherds

Joseph Browne, Harvard Class of 1666

These fragments are from two plates that I broke in 1664 during my sophomore year at the College. My friends and I may have had too much rum, and our rowdiness got rather out of hand. We thought it would be…