18th Century (1700-1799)

During the next century, support for Puritan goals diminished in the Colony overall. The Harvard curriculum shifted towards more scientific learning, critical thinking, and reason as forwarded the by Enlightenment, while still emphasizing rhetorical principles and rote learning. The landscape of Harvard changed significantly.

The Old and Indian Colleges were dismantled. Stoughton Hall (1700-1780) was constructed north of the Indian College, perpendicular to Harvard Hall and facing Cambridge Common, using bricks reclaimed from the Indian College building. Massachusetts Hall (1720) faced Harvard Hall, forming a quadrangle that served as the new entrance to the College. Wadsworth Hall was constructed in 1726 and Holden Chapel in 1744. Harvard Hall burned down in 1764, destroying some 5,000 volumes and all but one of John Harvard's books. In 1766, new Harvard Hall was constructed. During the Revolutionary War, Continental soldiers were housed in Harvard’s buildings.

Bellarmine (Bartmann) Sherd

bellarmine2.jpg
The eye stamped into this sherd makes it easily recognizable as a shard of Bellarmine, a name which alludes the Roberto Bellarmino (1542-1621), a Cardinal allegedly hated by protestant potters. Bellarmine-style stoneware has been dated as far back as…

Rhenish Stoneware: Bellarmine Bottle

IMG_5066.jpg
Background: The website, Diagnostic Artifacts of Maryland, allows us to conclude that the artifact that we excavated is a German brown salt glaze stoneware with iron oxide slip from the 17th century (Image 1). This is most likely from the neck of a…

Scratch Blue Stoneware

Scratch Blue Stoneware Sherd
Journal Entry: April 1768* Mother and Father just paid a visit. Boring, as usual. Before they left for home Mother left me a gift: a tea set. As if I needed another one! Mother had insisted on giving me a set when I first left to come to the…

Tin Glazed Earthenware Sherds

The Tin-Glazed Sherds
Joseph Browne, Harvard Class of 1666 These fragments are from two plates that I broke in 1664 during my sophomore year at the College. My friends and I may have had too much rum, and our rowdiness got rather out of hand. We thought it would be…